Tuesday 8 July 2014

Machalarts Watercolor Studio Review


Colors of Nature met Rhode Island Watercolor Society member Hollis Machala on May 23, 2014 when they presented their products to the society and discussed the advantages of using a professional quality earth-friendly watercolor paint.

Hollis Machala won Third Place in the Rhode Island Watercolor Society's juried art competition called, "Reflections".

She is a wonderful artist and we would like to thank her for her review and encourage everyone to visit her site to read the full review.

After working with paint tubes most of my life I found it refreshing to see a jar and know I could possibly use all the paint in the container eventually.



One thing I noticed as I started to paint is that the paints may dry faster than other brands and I recommend getting a palette with a cover to keep the pigment wet, soft, and happy!

Chromium Green is needed because without it a green mix of ochre/sienna and ultramarine is very dull. But the mix is a great natural green and can be darkened with Dark Burnt Umber or the Burnt Sienna nicely

I was sublimely happy with the vibrant cool gray mix I was able to get from the Ultramarine Blue and the Dark Burnt Umber. (See Palette Sample on Hot Press Paper above)

I eagerly await a vibrant red and yellow pigment* addition which could potentially broaden the subject range for professional artists.

All in all I think this is a great product for beginners and a great challenge for professionals due to the limited palette. Below is a painting of mine done completely with the Colors of Nature paints on 140lb. Cold Press paper. I hope you enjoy the spring bloom while it lasts!


*Colors of Nature has added a natural Black Iron Oxide and is in the process of sourcing natural and non-synthetic pigments for a bright yellow, red, teal, pink and violet. Please visit our site often to see the latest additions to our product line or email us at sales@colorsofnature.com to be added to our mailing list.

No comments:

Post a Comment